Just as the headline states, this recipe is easily prepared in under 5 minutes, which is phenomenal because it is much healthier and cheaper than anything you can buy in a store.
There are several variations of this recipe. Traditional hummus is made with chickpeas, but I always encourage others experiment with different legumes, including lentils and edamame! Although the base is generally beans with olive oil, citrus, garlic and tahini. Try thinking outside of the box with these tips!
- add a tablespoon of fresh herbs (as pictured in photo)
- roast a half bulb of garlic in the oven and supplement roasted garlic for fresh
- zest a teaspoon of lemon and teaspoon of fresh black pepper
- substitute lime or apple cider vinegar in place of the lemon
- add a chipotle pepper, an avocado, a handful of olives or some sundried tomatoes
serving size: several
total time: 5 mins
1 can organic low sodium chick peas (very well rinsed, until water runs clear)
2 tablespoons tahini
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, depending on preference
1/2 lemon, juiced
sea salt as desired
(for “traditional” hummus, add 1 teaspoon cumin)
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until an even consistency is reached (approximately 1 minute). Consume with fresh veggies or a healthy high fiber cracker!